Tuesday, July 21, 2009

On Settling...

Since moving into my own apartment there have been many things that I want. Basically, things that will make my apartment feel like "home" to me. It drives Phil a little crazy because it seems like I constantly want to buy things for the apartment and that involves spending money on things I don't need. I argue that my place has to feel right to me. It should make me happy when I come home to look around and see how comfy it looks. My latest wants for the apartment are new sheets to match the quilt I got, throw pillows for the couch, and kitchen curtains. This last one is particularly difficult because I am determined to have his mom teach me how to sew them instead of buying them from the store.

I have the fabric for the curtains, but I just don't feel they are right for my place. Phil's mom went to two different stores to find the fabric with me and she really liked it and I liked it, but I didn't love it. Because of vacations and just our schedules, we have been unable to start sewing the curtains and now I am at the point to where I want different fabric for the curtains. I feel like I am settling for something that is good, but not perfect.

This led to a discussion that Phil and I had. People tend to get the impression that I am hard to please. I want very specific things for a decent price and I do not want to pay more to get that and break my budget and I don't want to spend less and get something that is just ok. I would rather continue searching for exactly what I want then to settle for something that I feel is not good enough. I know some people see me as being too particular, but I would know what I want and I see that as a good thing. Seriously, aren't you supposed to know what you want and settle for nothing other than the best?

No comments: