Tuesday, September 8, 2009

To Teach or not to Teach

I've been feeling very apathetic towards school lately. School used to be something that wasn't too bad, afterall, it would help in becoming a teacher when finished right? Unfortunately, if teaching is what I want to do, a master's degree is necessary to get certification. Let's set the record straight, a master's degree would be wonderful, really it would, but the program that is the best in the area is very hands on. This sounds great doesn't it? There's a catch...to complete the program, you must do one full day in the classroom for the first two semesters. The third semester is a 15 day internship and the last semester is a 9 week full-time internship (aka "student teaching"). I would be all on board for all of this, but it is all UNPAID. Just the thought of rearranging my schedule to take the classes, do the internships, schooling at night, and maintain my relationship, finances, and apartment seems a little overwhelming.

This has led me to think that maybe I do not want to teach afterall. Human relations or public administration both seem like good options for a master's degree, but it won't give the flexibility of teaching when I have a family to take care of. This really puts me into a predicament. I have no idea what to do with my life or what I want to do with it for that matter. Right now Phil and I are not married and that is a factor into what decision will be made. If he gets this job he's up for and we can get married and manage to do all of that, then teaching might be a good option.

Either way, I have until December 15th to make the decision to enter the program in the spring or not. Until then, there is a lot of thinking to do...

No comments: