Thursday, March 15, 2012

Putting Yourself Out There

Let's be real. I'm not shy. Never have been, never will be. I like to talk and get to know people. Sure, there are moments where I don't feel up to it, but most of the time I'm pretty outgoing.

I started my business last summer with sewing clutch purses and quilted cosmetic bags/wristlets. It was fun and I really wanted to promote my business. I decided that what I should do was to carry one of them with me and when someone noticed the bag, I would let them know that I made it. This usually got them interested and I left giving them my business card!

With staying at home and transitioning into making more baby-related things it's been a little more difficult to do this. Sure, I can talk about it and show pictures on my iPhone, but it's not the same as having the item there and someone really being able to see it.

Today I was in the laundry room, putting in a load of laundry, and there was another woman in there with me. Of course, I decided to start chatting her up and happened to mention that I make my own laundry soap. She seemed intrigued with it and asked how I made it. By the time we left the laundry room she asked if she could stop by tonight to see it and possibly buy some!

My husband always seems so appalled at how well I get myself out there and how positively people respond. He says that if he tried to do the same thing, he would look super awkward and would make people feel weird and it's so true! Haha!

Of course, there are always times where someone does not respond as well as you would hope, but that's ok (they usually make for some funny stories later on).

Do any of you put yourselves out there?


No comments: