Monday, June 11, 2012

On Our Decision for me to Stay Home

The decision for me to become a stay-at-home wife wasn't easy. It came out of the blue and we thought it was going to be a temporary situation. I had a job lined up to start part-time in August and turn full-time in September. I felt like God was telling me to focus on myself and our family and not go back to work. I called my future employers and let them know our decision and they accepted it.

I had a feeling that I was supposed to stay home since the beginning of the school year. It was something that I just knew was meant to be, but I never thought it would have been in the middle of the school year. God works in mysterious ways and this series of events were definitely not expected.

Once I began staying at home, I quickly changed a lot of my bad spending habits. I knew that we could no longer afford for me to eat at McDonald's for breakfast almost every morning during the work week or every other day for lunch. I knew that me wanting to eat at restaurants as often would have to be minimized and I knew that shopping for fun {or fabric} would have to be cut as well. There were a lot of changes that needed to be made and I welcomed them with open arms with this new chance of me staying at home.

We've done a pretty good job at maintaining our finances up to this point. We had one tough month where there were more expenses than what we had budgeted for, but we worked through it and figured it out.

Sometimes I question our decision for me to stay at home. It's hard to think that I could be working and adding money to our savings account faster than we can now, but it's not worth it. It's not worth the stress that I was under while working or the many doctors appointments that I had because of it. It's not worth me being upset and exhausted every day when we can do this another way.

We've made the decision for me to stay at home for my health, well-being, and for our marriage. That's more important to us than more money in the bank. It's a decision that we have chosen and will continue to choose until that decision is no longer right for us. For now, I love being at home and focusing on making me the best version of myself I can be.

It's all about priorities. And this, is ours.


1 comment:

All About Jillzy said...

Congratulations, Kate! I know it was a hard decision but it will be the best decision you've ever made! You can't get these years back so embrace them and make them count. You'll be just fine.