Thursday, June 20, 2013

Difficult Transitions

Getting used to the GD lifestyle has been an adjustment. Gone are the days of lounging around after eating and being able to eat how much I want when I want. Having to look at the clock with your first bite of a meal, knowing that in just one or two hours from now, you will be testing your blood sugar gets a little overwhelming. Then, there's the anticipation of the number that pops up. Will it be in range? Is it too high? But, I did everything right?! It definitely gets frustrating at times and a bit much.

The diet itself isn't that bad. I have to count my carbs and proteins and make sure that I'm getting the right amount at every meal and snack. I have three meals per day and three snacks per day so I'm eating every 2-3 hours on average. Of course, there are times that you do everything right and still get a number that is not in range. This is where it gets upsetting. Other times, you eat right and it's in a perfect range and you sigh with relief.

I've been put on overnight insulin and that hasn't been too bad. The needle they gave me is super tiny and it really doesn't hurt going in. I exercise after meals to try to stay off of daytime insulin, but with the impending hormone surges, I'm not sure that's going to happen. It's all a matter of what you eat and what your hormones decide to do that day.

The part that is the most difficult for me is the exercise. I am exhausted especially since this week hit. I'm supposed to get up and move (walk, run errands, do something active) for at least 10-15 minutes following every meal to help my blood sugar stay down. I'm pretty religious about this unless there's no way because we have church or an appointment and I can't be more active than walking to and from the car. But, it's hard to get up and move when you just want to take a nap.

I'm doing this for my health and most importantly for my baby's health. It's a choice I've made to do the best I can for my baby because he is so important. Gestational diabetes has real risks, but if you manage it well, the outcomes are great! My numbers are always in a "safe" range which is the most important thing. I'm committed for the best outcome for me and the baby and that's what matters most.


No comments: