Wednesday, January 8, 2014

High Maintenance

Hi, my name is Kate, and I have a high maintenance (high needs) baby.

So many times I'm reading other mom's blog, twitter, and IG posts and see that they are writing that they have a happy, content baby. And you know what, that makes me happy. Everyone wants to have that baby who is easily entertained and you can go throughout your day with minimal fussiness. But, you know what? That's not the case over here.

Don't get me wrong, I love my little guy and he is super cute and sleeps a lot, but he's honestly a fuss bucket most days. Here's how a day around here goes:

7:30-8am- Wake up. He's happy (Praise Jesus!). Change diaper, unswaddle, and get bottle ready.

8am-ish- Feed baby. Pray that he doesn't fuss or cry while feeding. Oh wait, he usually does. Fight  him trying to get him to eat 4 ounces and keep going back to feeding him until there's 1 ounce or less left in his bottle.

8:30-9ish- Play time. Talk to him, put him in the activity saucer, make funny faces and sounds to get him to smile and stop fussing, take him out and help him sit and stand up, carry him around and show him things around the house, baby wear if necessary, attempt tummy time, pick up the paci 500 times as he spits it out on the floor, get a new paci, put fussy baby in the swing and turn on the mobile, turn on tv if desperate.



9/9:30am- 10:30/11am- Nap time.

1130/12ish- Wake up, unswaddle, make bottle, and feed baby. Rinse and repeat previous awake time and nap time schedule in 4 hour blocks until bedtime.

7/7:30pm- Bath time. His favorite time of the day. Followed by a night time bottle, book, prayer, and bedtime.



I do have to admit that his afternoon feedings get better throughout the day most days, but it seems like so many times we have good eating days and bad eating days where he screams at most feedings one day and for a few days he's fine with eating.

Our little man is definitely opinionated and must be entertained most of the time. When people hold him and he gets fussy, I'm constantly asked what to do to get him to stop and I tell them that I just try five different holds and pray that one works. He's super active and loves to be moving and wiggling around.

I have been told by a couple of people now that their babies were the same way and that around 5-6 months, they really had a turn around and ended up being happy babies. The pediatrician also noticed that he needs a lot of stimulation and movement to be happy and she said that although that's exhausting, that it's a good thing that he's so interested and alert. My mom said I was the same way so I guess it's genetic?!

I may not have the easiest baby on the block, but he's mine and I love him all the same.

1 comment:

Vanessa Miller said...

I'm sure you've told me before but has he been diagnosed with reflux? Is that why he is so fussy? Also, my son had thrush and I didn't even know it. It caused him to be extremely fussy whenever I would try to feed him. Have you noticed any of that? I know I'm one of the lucky ones to have such a happy baby so I hope he starts to feel better!