Monday, February 10, 2014

The Days Are Long...

"The days are long, but the years are short."
 
 
That's the quote that keeps running through my mind lately as my now six month old little boy is challenging me to my core. He is such a joy, but let's be honest, some days he's a hot mess!
 
With Matthew getting older, he's learning that he can play and not sleep which is...awesome. I'm sure you can sense my sarcasm, but really though, he will be exhausted and will fight his naps with everything he's got. It's becoming a battle in the late afternoons around here as he cries while he's awake and screams when you try to put him down for a nap.
 
I'm trying to remember that he's only little once and this is just a phase. I'm getting better at that. When he fights his naps or bedtime, I find myself going to him, rocking him, holding him, and telling him how much he's loved. I know he doesn't understand my words now, but he can understand that I'm choosing to be with him and comfort him in those moments.
 
Just when I get frustrated or annoyed with him not sleeping, he looks at me with his sweet, blue eyes and smiles and I melt...just for a moment, and realize that it's all worth it.
 


No comments: