Monday, August 4, 2014

Helicopter Parent?

I always thought I would be one of those parents who hovered over their children. You know the ones that are right there next to their child making sure that they are constantly happy and safe. Sure, they want their children to succeed, but they want to be part of that process and it can be a little overwhelming for everyone.

I'm not sure why I thought this because as a former nanny and teacher, I didn't hover. I was there when I was needed, but I also took a step back to let them try and figure it out for themselves while still being available. Maybe it's because my parents hovered to a certain extent that I thought I would helicopter over my children?

The reality, however, is totally different and I love it. My little boy is an independent player. He likes to crawl away from me, explore, figure out new things, and come back for the occasional snuggle or "good job!" He's a ball of energy most days and still needs me for a lot  (see: still doesn't like to feed himself, but he's getting better). He's a pretty good listener with sayings like "no touch!" and "let's go!" and that makes me super happy.

I love that I am his safe person when he's not feeling well or when we're out and he's overwhelmed with new people. Stranger danger is real, people and my little man is in full swing with not liking to be around crowds or people he doesn't know. I'm thinking his party this weekend will be super fun!

Either way, when I look at how we are parenting and the little boy we are molding and shaping with our decisions, I think we're doing ok. He's learning and thriving and that's what matters most of all.

No comments: